Transparency is important to us - if you have any questions or concerns with the below, please reach out. We have worked with startups to confirm the below process is acceptable, but are always happy to modify our approach.Who views the data?
Data is collected by My Startup Gig Pty Ltd, a private company with no external shareholders. We are not affiliated or aligned with any VC. This puts us in a unique position to be able to conduct the project independently and objectively. In full transparency, My Startup Gig team members
also work at other startups - which is why it is critical we engage independent People & Culture contractors (who don't work in startups) as judges to ensure the report's integrity.
Data will be collected and processed by SurveyMonkey. We decided to work with SurveyMonkey due to their ISO27001 certification and reputation.Raw data (written submission and employee survey)
The raw data will only be reviewed by the core My Startup Gig team
and any external HR consultants engaged as part of the process. All team members and consultants are subject to strict confidentiality obligations and NDAs. The data will be stored securely in accordance with our Terms
We will share an insights report to the person responsible for the startup's submission. This will not contain any information that could identify an employee
- We will not provide an insights report where less than 5 employees have participated. It is important that employees are confident that their responses are anonymous and will not be shared with their employer. Where a small number of people respond, and those responses are negative, there is an increased risk that the employer could work backwards to identify who gave the negative responses.
- In relation to our two sub-categories, Top Startups for Women and Top Startups for Early Careers, we will not be able to provide insights when less than 5 employees (that identify as women or early in their career, depending on the category) have participated. This is to reduce the risk that a negative response could be attributed to a particular employee. You will still receive insights in relation to other categories (i.e. professional development), and will still be eligible for the main Top Startup Employer lists.
Your written submission answers will always remain confidential, with the exception of My Startup Gig sharing some of the actions the top 25% of startups are doing (in a non-identifable way). We do this to raise the standard of work environments across Australia, and increase the attractiveness of working in startups on the whole.
To see what would be published if your startup is highlighted, see an example feature here
.Employee survey questions
: Answers are 100% anonymous. We ask for each employee's email only to reduce the risk of multiple entries - but these email addresses remain confidential. We provide startups with deidentified overall scores and insights. Aggregated data
We will create deidentified and aggregated reports based on the submissions. Data/Insights we will share
- 'Average paid parental policy across the top 25% of startups'
- 'Common approaches to professional development for early-career employees, across the top 25% of startups'
- Average employee benefits package across all Early-stage startups
Data we will not share with anyone
- Any data that could reasonably re-identify or be attributed to a startup. To be conservative, we will not share any data narrower than in 25% cohorts, as this may in effect re-identify a startup's confidential information. For example, we would not prepare the 'Policies and processes of the top 5% of startups'
- A startup's individual policy submission
- Individual survey submissions - under no circumstances would this be shared with an employee's startup
- A startup's insights report - except with the person responsible for the Written Submission
- Identifiable personal information (i.e. email address)